Pages

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Only In A New York, Minute


Last Friday was one of those Only in New York moments; I was the recipient of two stranger's kindness. Let me tell you how it all came about:
That Friday I awoke at my usual time – 5am. Usually, I would do some personal and scholastic reading and writing to get my day started. However, I really had nothing planned for that day and I really wanted to go back to bed after checking and responding to emails. So, I went back to bed and re-set the alarm for 8:30am.
Eight thirty, I got up, showered, and thought about what I wanted for breakfast, lunch and dinner; I wasn't too hungry so I passed on breakfast. I checked the freezer for food I prepared several days ago and decided that for lunch I will have half of the grilled stuffed pork chop and I will eat the other half for dinner.
While I was wondering what sides I was going to have with the chops and separating clothes for the laundry, I got a phone call from a friend who wanted to see me and treat me to dinner. Of course I readily agreed and threw the chops back into the freezer. We decided on a nice seafood restaurant in White Plains and I was to be ready for pick-up at 1:30pm.
At 2:15pm we are seated and awaiting for our meals. The conversation was light, stimulating, and effortless; I was thoroughly enjoying the attention - since I don’t get asked out as much as I like these days. However, I had to keep reminding myself that I had to make up a final exam in Anatomy & Physiology. I had to miss the final exam in December because of a previously scheduled event; and Friday, January 6, 2012 was the only time to make up the exam or I would get an F.
4:00pm we are still conversing when it hits me again that I have to be at the Berkeley College campus on 41St in Manhattan at 5:30pm. Our plan was for me to be driven back to Yonkers or the Bronx so that I could catch the IRT 4 into Manhattan. We had to derail that plan because time wasn’t on neither of our side; he needed to go further north and be at his destination by 6:00pm. We re-grouped with me on the 4:34pm Metro North.
We leave restaurant, jump in car and we are at the White Plains Metro North train station at - according to his dashboard - 4:27pm. I’m out of car, running up stairs; I stood in line to purchase ticket when train entered station. I decided to purchase ticket on train. I get on train; look in my wallet, NO MONEY! I had a bunch of change in my handbag, so I thought; I know I have at least five dollars in change. When the conductor comes around I am holding exactly seven dollars worth of change in my hand, thinking $3.50 for the trip and still a little left over to get a drink from the school’s vending machine. Conductor is standing over me, I’m re-counting my change, and I ask, “How much to Grand Central?” To my horror he says: “$14.00 Miss.” Already knowing the answer, I ask: “Do you take a debit or credit card?” He says: “Only cash Miss” I asked him to please come back after he collects from the other passengers.
I frantically dug through my bag, knowing my hand held all the change I had on my person. I called my friend, rattling about how I’m going to be arrested, I’m going to jail, and I’m going to fail this class! My friends said he’s going to meet the train in Yonkers, I had, had the same idea, however, the train was an express and the next stop was 125th Street.  In my sweat and desperation I heard a manly voice say: “Hey, lady, don’t worry, if you don’t have it, I’ll give it to you.” He reached into his wallet and took out seven dollars, another gentleman, whose face I did not see because of the high seats, offered to pay the other seven dollars. I profusely thanked them both. Pedro, the first guy who offered to pay the fare said he had been in my position once, and knew what it felt like to be on the train and not have the fare, and asked that I pay it forward. “You got it!”
When the conductor returned he was surprised to see the dollar bills in my hand and when I told him the fare was paid for me by the two gentlemen seated in front of me, his face registered that Only in New York moment I was feeling.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds great, what a blessing! Three treats in one day, by 3 different Gentlemen... Now, I hope you passed that Exam :0)..

    ReplyDelete